I read a lot. Like, if I'm not writing something myself, you will find me on the couch reading a beautiful fiction or non-fiction book. But for today I'm only going to share my top 5 Non-fiction reads for this year. And I have to tell you, that my latest collection are absolutely brilliant! So starting the countdown, let's dive in...
5. Stay by Anjuli Paschall Oh, my goodness. Let me just say that this was a book I have been wanting to read for a while, but I knew I had to carve out the time to really digest it. I do believe that everyone will gain out of this book, what they need to hear in different parts, but for me it was calling me to focus on the now, to journal through the pain and brokenness and embrace the testimony that rises up from it all. To be set free from shame and really follow Jesus into light He offers and to just accept His love. Set out more of a memoir than a devotional and I loved it. I love reading from another's point of view and how they seek Jesus in their life.
4. When Strivings Cease by Ruth Chou Simons This was another book I had lovingly admired before it had even been released and the cover had me clicking the buy now button the moment it released. And the tag line 'Replacing the Gospel of Self-Improvement with the Gospel of life transforming Grace' had me super excited to dive in. Honestly when I bought this book I thought it was going to be all about dropping the hustle and the social media. To quit trying to be something that you're not and embrace who you are. What I got was so much more and a complete surprise!
As I was reading I was surprised by the convictions that were rising up within me when it comes to my own striving to be I guess acknowledged by God. Like if I worked really hard and gave Him all my time, that somehow it would be enough, that I would be enough. I also learned to see grace in a completely new way. I started to see that I needed to just rest in the grace that's so beautifully given. That shame, fear and self-condemnation are going to happen, were human, but in all of that God is there with us, taking every single piece onto His own shoulders.
Ruth's words come to you so clearly and direct but with the compassion of someone who has been in the same position you are in. Love this book!
3. Created to Thrive by Matt Tommey This book probably doesn't apply to everyone, but for someone like me who is a creative and business owner it was and absolute gold mine of inspiration. What encouraged me the most is that he lets you know that when you put God into every aspect of your creating, you've already succeeded! Throughout the book he gives you great moments of testimonies from his life and from others who he has come into contact with. So if you're an artist or creator, you need to get a copy of this book. He dives into the work needed to be done, not just living on a hope that one day it may take off if God wills it. No, He is very honest about the work side of it, the money side, the community side, but most of all... he never leaves God out of any of it.
2. Misfit Table by Tiffini Kilgore I am going to struggle trying to explain how much this book means to me. It's the kind of book I literally hug to my chest whenever I walk past the bookshelf. This is a woman who isn't afraid to share the hard parts of her life and give all the glory to Jesus in where she is now. I felt her childhood. I came from a broken home, I struggled with addictions, I felt the weight of other peoples judgements and the pain in the loneliness. But like Tiffini, Papa had had a hand in every step of my journey. One of the biggest takeaways from this book is that God invites us to take a seat at His table no matter who we are, where we are and what we're going through. So if you want to read a book about brokenness, healing, forgiveness, love and redemption then this book is for you.
1. Messy & Loved by Sarah G. Tomlinson That's right, I'm seriously putting my devotional, testimony, writings book right here at number one, because it was a labour of love! When I had this book in mind to write I wanted something a little different than what is normal in the market. I wanted it full colour with words of encouragement so I write each chapter as if God is writing you a letter personally. I wanted a place for scripture and a place for you to record your own thoughts and most of all I wanted to add pieces of testimony from my own beautiful journey with the Heavenly Father in this once in a lifetime journey on earth!
So there you have it, my top reads for the start of 2022 and I hope one of these makes it to your bookshelf. Ans I'm going to leave the links below so you can check them out yourselves! Thank you so much for dropping by, I pray this post blessed you today. If you loved it, then I would LOVE for you to share it and encourage someone else today. Also, don't forget to sign up to my newsletter below so you can stay up to date on future blogs, videos, shop releases and freebies!